Saturday, February 19, 2011

Big Book Thoughts


I was doing some studying this week and came across this in my AA Big Book:


"Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is the fellowship in OA (substituted). There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the the fellowship, and so will you." (page 152)

As I sat here thinking about this I wondered if I really measured up to all this. I pray that I do, but sometimes I wonder if I just go to my meetings to vent my problems to those who will listen. I don't really think about them and how many times they have heard the same old story. They probably get tired of hearing about it. Maybe that is why we have fewer people in the meeting. If I start listening and encouraging others, maybe they would come back and know that I want to help instead of just whine. As someone once told me.... save the whining for the sponsors

So today is a new day. I am going to start being an encourager in our meetings and online. I choose to be someone that others can lean on. Hopefully our meetings will now once more be able to fulfill the paragraph from the Big Book... a substitute for overeating. Maybe we can be a fellowship of people who care about one another. May it be so in my life.


Wanna join me??
Cindy

3 comments:

LessLacie said...

Hello,
I just came across your blog and just started OA on Monday. Thank you for the words you wrote today. I am trying to figure this whole OA thing out. I bought books and am still feeling a bit lost. Thanks for your honesty.

memoirs of this binge eating triathlete said...

we are all there at the meetings to sport eachother.

Contemplative Oasis said...

I went to my first OA meeing on Wednesday and after posting it in my blog went looking for other people who have OA blogs. I liked your cute pictures. Wow 99 ibs thats amazing..