Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tradition Six

Tradition Six: An OA group ought never endorse, finance or lend the OA name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property and prestige divert us from our primary purpose.

This tradition has always been one that I definitely understood. I have always had trouble with finances... at least, it seems like it has been that way! One of the things I would do is ask my mom for help and she would give it to me. Later that week or month, I would hear from her and she would say that I needed to do something for her. Now, I am not complaining about doing stuff, but when you get money from others... there are strings attached. Sometimes those strings are not the ones we want to have around our necks!

In OA we must always remember our primary purpose... to carry the message to other compulsive overeaters. That is what should always be in the back of our minds when doing anything. For instance, when I share here with you I am carrying the message. But... what if I fail? Am I letting others know that OA works or that it is a failure too? My goal for this blog is to carry the message and to let you know that it works... IF WE WORK IT! Any failure in my program is because of ME not OA! I have to always be sure that you and my other readers understand that. I could also tell you that OA is affiliated with our church, but what if my church doesn't agree with the OA message. Am I still carrying the message? NOPE! So, what difference does it matter about the church I go to or don't go to? All that matters is that I am sharing with you the OA message. There is hope for overeaters! We can recover if we work our program. We are here to support each other.

So, that is my thoughts on Tradition 6. I hope I have made my point clear. Any comments or concerns are welcome. I enjoy hearing others thoughts. May HP give you a blessed day today.

Hugs... Cindy D in WV

No comments: