Thursday, April 27, 2006

Step 7 "Humbly asked Him..."

Step 7 "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings."

It has taken me a few weeks to get started on this step. I have found myself making excuses for reasons why I can't do this now. Today I just decided to JUST DO IT! So, what was the problem? When I look at this step, I am asking God to remove my shortcomings. So, what are my shortcomings? What if something I think is a benefit is actually a shortcoming in His eyes? Do I still want Him to remove it?

I think the key is in the first word of this step. HUMBLY doesn't mean that I tell God what to do. It means that I give up my control and ask for His best in my life. I think if I am honest with myself, I still want to tell God what to do. I am afraid He might take away something I want to keep!

If this is truly how I feel, I need to go back to steps 1, 2 and 3 again and remember that I am His child and He wants only what is His best for me. He will not remove those things that make me a unique individual. He only wants to improve on the "real" me.

So, what are some of my shortcomings? For me, I have seen my controlling others and trying to fix their lives as a shortcoming. Another one I just saw recently is procrastination. At times, perfectionism even crops up!!

This step just asks me to give God permission to change me. I am not saying what He needs to fix nor am I to demand when it is to be accomplished. One thing I have learned is that God has His own time table. He does what He does, when He is ready. I just have to be willing to let Him do it.

Are you willing today?

No comments: