Friday, February 22, 2008

Tradition 3: The only requirement...

Tradition 3: The only requirement for OA membership is a desire to stop eating compulsively.












When I first came to OA, I found it difficult to identify what abstinence is. I found that every person has a different definition of it. However, this tradition tells us exactly why we need to be in OA... we are compulsive eaters! I saw this cartoon and immediately identified with the lady who was binging. I have done that! For me, coming to OA helps me to change my addictive thinking. I am learning how to deal with life without overeating. In the past, how I would deal with stress would be to get a big bowl of ice cream, or any kind of sweet, and just eat the whole thing. I didn't want to think of what was going on or I would just eat so I couldn't fix the problem. I was too busy to do anything about the problem if I was eating! Today I see that the problems never went away. Usually they escalated. Things just got worse because I didn't do anything about them. Sometimes I still can't do anything to change things, but I do let others know that I can't fix it. At least I am now letting them know where I am instead of making them guess. In most cases, that makes a HUGE difference on what they think of you.

So, am I a candidate for OA? You bet I am! I am a compulsive overeater. I know today that I can't fix anything without my HP's help. How about you... are you an overeater too? If so, find OA in your area and reach out to others. We need each other in order to grow in our recovery.

Have a blessed day!

Till next time...
Hugs to you from Cindy D in WV

1 comment:

Watson Family said...

I have been attending OA for almost 2 months now, and working Step 9, and am finding so much inspiration from your blog. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself here. Truly.