Tuesday, March 06, 2007

A Day at the Hospital

I have to share with you about last Friday at the hospital. I took the day off to be with my hubby while he got the spinal cord stimulator implanted into his back. It was the trial one and he wanted to see if it would work. He had not ate since midnight, just like you do with all surgeries. We had went in, signed up and was waiting for his turn to go into the surgery room. Well, I was fine. I took some books, had my journal, and even a few crossword books. I figured it was going to take some time, so I even fixed my lunch!

After we had been there about two hours, a group of people came in and I caught myself watching them. First I checked out their size. Most of them were rather hefty (like me). There were also a couple of girls who were so skinny that a good wind would have blown them away. Ok... so I fit in. Now I found myself judging them. They brought in a huge grocery bag of chips! There was all kinds. I think there were about 8 of them and each one had a different brand of snack. Now, that was fine... BUT they chose to open them and start crunching right in front of all of us!! I was really upset. Why did they do that? Didn't they realize that there were people in that waiting room waiting to go into surgery and were hungry? Didn't they realize "I WAS HUNGRY FOR THEIR CHIPS?" Well, I finally came back to my senses and told my hubby that I was going to move. I couldn't deal with the smell any longer. Before I could get up, someone else came in and they moved to sit with them. I looked at my hubby and then said a quiet "Thank You God!!" I was so glad that they moved.

I guess I am saying all this to just share with you how our eating effects others. I never thought about it till I had to walk in those shoes. I always ate just like they did. Now I see that there are others out there who are just as compulsive as I am, who will eat at any time of the day and for no reason. I am now going to start watching when I eat. If I am in the hospital and am hungry, I am going to remember this day. I will try to respect those who cannot eat till later.

Well, I made it through the day and didn't eat anything I shouldn't have. I stayed abstinent. I wonder if I could have done that without OA. Probably not. I know that this program works when we work it! Hope you have a wonderful abstinent day.

Hugs till next time....Cindy

1 comment:

ArahMan7 said...

I'm glad you make it, Cindy. Hope Hubby is doing ok now.