Monday, November 28, 2005

Keep It Simple


It's only 3 little words, but what power lies within them! I have always been one to make everything bigger than it is. If I got a sore toe and you asked me about it, I would tell you how terrible it was. I always made things sound worse than they really were. For instance, about the sore toe my projection would be that I would have to go to the doctor and he would have to cut off the nail to get it fixed. Of course, it never happened... but I always made such irrational projections.

In OA we are told to keep it simple. Simple to me today means to look at things as they are... not to project the outcomes or see them as unbearable. When I think about food and what I am to eat today, I consider what is available. I have choices today. I don't have to eat the fatty foods. I can make wise choices today because I am not running the show... my Higher Power (whom I choose to call God) is running it! He tells me what is good for me and what is not. To give you a for instance, I have always loved pecan pie. It is my favorite! This would be something I would never do without eating, no matter what the holiday. This year I tried a bite of it and let me tell you... it didn't taste as good as I remembered. Maybe the pie was bad (that is what my head would tell me). The reality of it is that God has changed my desires. I no longer like sweet foods as well. One bite was MORE than enough! Now, let me tell you... that was God's doing, not mine!

As you think about keeping it simple today, think of the things that you make bigger than they are. For instance, do you try to predict what others will say when you make comments? How about when you eat something you shouldn't, do you try to justify it? Keeping it simple would just be to not do it. Or as the other slogan says.... Just say NO!

Have a great day. See ya tomorrow with another slogan for you.

No comments: