Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Tradition Two "For our group purpose..."

Tradition 2: "For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority — a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern."

This tradition is VERY important when it comes to all types of groups that we are in. For instance, our group at home, at work and at our OA meetings. So, tell me... who is in charge? Any ideas?

As I read this tradition I am reminded that there is only ONE authority and I am not it! So who is that One in charge? Within our groups, it is important that each of our voices are heard. We all need to share our feelings. To sit back and just listen and accept what others say as truth is not sharing our right to speak our peace. For instance, how would you feel if your family decided that the family would be going to Florida for the winter months and you hated it down there? You have a right to share how you feel. If you don't like Florida, tell them why. Let them know why you feel as you do. Sometimes people assume that they are doing what we want, when in reality it is far from true. We need to speak up!

As an OA member, I have a part in the decision making process, but I don't always have to be right. Let me ask you this, have you ever been to an Intergroup meeting where everyone was stating their feelings and there was one person who tried to convince everyone else that they were wrong? As I worked with this tradition, I was reminded that we are ALL sick. We have a disease that makes us do things that are not always best for us. I had to remember that I didn't always have to be right. Someone else may have a better idea than mine. If I am always on the defense, I may not gain the benefits from listening to others. It is important to have every voice heard.

As we grow up in age and in wisdom, we become more stable with our ideas and able to listen long enough to understand those around us. We need to take in the wisdom others have. They may have a better solution to our problem. So for today, I turn my life over to the care of God as I understand Him. I ask Him for wisdom to listen carefully to others that I might not do something I will regret later.

I hope that this has helped you. If you would like to share about your feelings on this tradition, please do! I look forward to learning from you!
Hugs...Cindy D in WV

No comments: